Over 30 years ago, a small group of Americans decided to begin a school for their children. Shortly thereafter, they were asked if the children of expatriate businessmen could join, and so began Tianjin International School, the 2nd oldest international school in China.
Throughout our thirty years of rich history, TIS has grown to be a pillar of excellence in international education in Tianjin. Our American curriculum has an international flavor making it an attractive option for both westerners and Asians alike. From our three year olds to our twelfth graders, we align our education to our values of Truth, Integrity, Service, and Excellence. In each division of our school, our strong academics, excellent music program, and various extracurricular activities provide the balance that is needed to grow well-rounded students.
We have a beautiful and modern facility, but the thing that leaves the strongest impression on families is our warm and friendly staff. Our highly qualified and trained staff consistently seek to make meaningful connections with students and their families, showing them the care and love that is needed for children to grow and mature into healthy, productive contributors in society.
I have lived in China for almost 17 years, and I have seen many changes in our city of Tianjin. But, one thing I have been so grateful for is TIS, which year after year is a constant in the expat life where things always seem to be in motion. The community I have found at TIS gives busy expats a place to call home. We’d love for you to join TIS to be a part of that community.
Dr. Scott Finnamore
Head of School
History & Mission
Since its inception, TIS has been dedicated to nurturing student’s social needs and intellectual curiosity along with advanced academic skills.
TIS students receive a world-class education revolving around the values of Truth, Integrity, Service, and Excellence.
Faculty & Staff
TIS has highly qualified, experienced staff from the United States, Canada, Australia, Europe, Africa and Asia.
Campus & Facilities
The TIS campus was built to enhance learning. Every detail fosters growth while maintaining a safe and secure learning environment.
Life is better with people to share it with. TIS is proud to be an active member in our local and global communities.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
LAYING THE FOUNDATION
From your first day through to graduation.
OUR AMAZING CAMPUS
... Is Built for learning.
Tianjin International School’s purpose-built campus is designed to meet the learning needs of international students in the 21st century. Our campus boasts 75 modern classrooms, 5 fully-equipped science laboratories, 2 libraries, a full performing arts center, state-of-the-art auditorium, full size indoor double court gymnasium, climbing wall, playground for the elementary students, outdoor classroom for Early Childhood and more. Don’t take our word for it, come and see for yourself!
Getting to campus
Ready to find your way to TIS?
Campus & Facilities
- Bright, colorful, welcoming classrooms
- Dedicated Early Childhood Center
- Specialist areas for Science, Music, Art and Drama
- Dedicated spacious music suite
- Robotics Field
- Ceramics Studio
- Additional technology resources available (iPads, MacBooks, digital cameras)
- Dedicated theater for Music and Drama performances
- Well-resourced Library/Media center
- Freshly prepared hot and cold food service
- Dedicated food seating area
- Astroturf pitch for soccer and outdoor team sports
- Hard court area for basketball and outdoor play
- Range of outdoor play areas with sports and play equipment
- Modern, well-equipped gymnasium with climbing wall
- Dedicated ballet and dance studio
- Large playground area with extensive play equipment
- Quiet outdoor play area
- Garden area
2018 Safety and Security Poster Winner, Hayden Smith from Chengdu International School
iSC SAFTEY AND SECURITY
To ensure the safety of our students, parents and visitors are required to sign-in at the information desk upon entering the school building. Badges identifying parents and visitors are available at the desk and must be worn at all times while on campus. Before leaving the school please turn in your badge and sign-out.
SAFETY FEATURES ON CAMPUS
- iSC schools feature security measures that provide a safe learning environment. We have a door that is locked at all times and only accessible through the use of a personal pin number or fingerprint scanner.
- iSC schools have a strict pick-up policy. All new individuals picking up, even those listed on the enrollment forms, are required to show ID regardless of relation.
- When in the care of our staff, all children are accompanied, supervised, and in line of sight at all times without exception.
- The majority of our staff members are CPR and First Aid certified and receive a minimum of 24 hours continuing education classes bi-annually.
- All Bus Drivers have yearly driver safety training.
- First aid certified staff are present at every school event.
- An AED is provided in the event of an emergency.
- All schoos obtain fire code certification from their local fire bureau.
- Alarm systems and fire suppression equipment are in place.
- In the event there is an obstacle blocking your escape route, go to the closest exit. Once outside the teacher should proceed to their assigned gathering point.
- In the event that the route to the assigned gathering point is blocked, immediately proceed to the alternate gathering point.
- Teachers and students stand quietly in line until word is given from the administration that it is safe to re-enter the building.
Healthy, well-balanced food is crucial for each child’s development. This starts with a kitchen that meets health standards. Our kitchen and dining areas are regularly checked by government safety inspectors to assure that all hygiene standards are met and hygiene procedures are followed.
Students have a choice between Asian and Western cuisine, which are prepared by our own chefs. We purchase our food and beverage products from trusted vendors only, and each morning carefully select meat, vegetables and fruit for daily meals.
Each day, our students can choose between Western and Chinese food. They can of course also bring their own lunch and warm it up in microwaves provided in the cafeteria. An assortment of drinks and small snacks are available throughout day.
All students eat their lunch in our clean and spacious cafeteria. The Early Childhood Department has its own cozy lunch area, specially designed and equipped for our smallest students.
Off CAMPUS EVENTS
A Safety Plan is developed for each off-campus event and a copy should be maintained in the school office.
The plan includes:
- Pre-visits to the trip destination to confirm all accommodation, food, activity and service information.
- List of students on the trip, with current emergency phone numbers
- Permission to travel forms signed by parent / guardian
- Medical information pertaining to trip participants who require specific medical assistance
- List of teachers and chaperones, with contact information
- For overnight and out of city event, a calling tree in the safety plan ensures full contact.
- To the extent possible, teachers and chaperones have access to cellular phones while on the off-campus events.
AIR QUALITY INDEX
Air quality and the effects of heavily polluted air on children’s health is a serious concern. For that reason, iSC schools’ indoor facilities (classrooms, hallways and areas for indoor sport and play) are closed from outside air and constantly provided with filtered air though our Centralized Air Filtration System. This allows us to continue with classes and sports, even on heavily polluted days. We check the air pollution rate several times each day.
For our outdoor facilities, iSC schools monitor pollution levels on a daily basis. A policy is in place to adjust activities in an attempt to safeguard the health and wellness of our students. This policy applies to outdoor sports as well as outdoor playtime. A summary of our AQI (Air Quality Index) policy:
- AQI 0-150: normal activities
- AQI150-200: reduced-intensity activities
- AQI 200-250: Elementary students indoors; Secondary students have low-intensity activities if outdoors
- AQI > 250: All activities inside
Teachers will immediately pull a student from an activity if he/she shows signs of abnormal respiratory distress, and notify the school nurse for further monitoring.
WHILE ON CAMPUS
The safety and security of our people and the communities in which we operate is critical. We must be vigilant, disciplined, and always looking out for one another. Each of us is a role model for others. Do not enter classrooms unless escorted by a member of staff or by prior arrangement.
If you have any concerns about a child’s behavior or treatment, please contact the main reception as quickly as possible. Report any accident, injury, illness, or unsafe condition immediately. Never assume that someone else has reported or will report a risk or concern. Stop work, your own or others, if you consider it unsafe. Speak up if you observe an unsafe or unhealthy working environment. Listen to others who speak up.
Walk to the nearest stairwell and exit the building. Do not use elevators. Proceed to the track area behind the school. Do not re-enter the building until you are told it is safe to do so.
In case of an emergency requiring a lock-down, locate yourself in a room, and lock the door. Go to an area of the room that is away from the door and away from the windows. Stay until an announcement is made.
As a school, we strive to be appreciated as an active contributor to our local and global community in order to deliver the best possible teaching and learning opportunities for our students. To assist with these goals, we work with a range of partner organizations who provide a variety of services that support our position as an independent school, enhance our curriculum offering, or complement our community engagement programs.
Tianjin International School has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) since 1992. TIS is also registered with the Tianjin Education Bureau and is accredited in China through the National Center for School Curriculum and Textbook Development (NCCT). These two accrediting bodies attest to the high standard that we have achieved and continue to maintain.
We are also members of EARCOS, ACAMIS, AMIS, ISCOT, and ISAC. These memberships provide us with interschool competition in sports, music, art and science.
TIS is the founding member of the International Schools Consortium (iSC) with sister schools in Chengdu, Qingdao, Yantai, Wuhan, Wuxi and the newest addition in the UAE.
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS CONSORTIUM
Tianjin International School is a part of the International Schools Consortium (iSC) — a nonprofit organization that, since 1986, has offered excellent academic programs to meet the intellectual, physical, and emotional needs of students. iSC has six schools in China — in Chengdu, Qingdao, Wuhan, Wuxi, Tianjin, and Yantai — one school in the UAE, and helps to support various other educational initiatives globally. iSC is a multi-school program, enabling students and teachers to participate in system-wide programs where they can interact with others outside of their immediate school. Students compete in basketball, volleyball and soccer tournaments, as well as fine arts festivals, and Model United Nations (MUN) conventions. In addition to student involvement, all teachers attend iSC’s annual professional development conference to share best practices. The opportunity to be a part of this larger, interconnected community is just one of the many ways in which the